Do Atheists Believe?
A Little About A Lot Monthly Series
Online Oct. 13 at 7:00 p.m.
-no charge to attend-
On Thursday, Oct. 13 at 7:00 pm Eastern, the Center will host the second installment of its new monthly series called A Little About A Lot. The series engages the community in monthly discussions around topics of social, religious, and spiritual interest. A Little About A Lot uses short formats like podcasts, web posts, short books, and videos, curated from around the digital world.
The October discussion is entitled Do Atheists Believe? and will be facilitated by Center Associate Terry Decker, with material assistance from Brandon Cook, Executive Director of Naming the Real. “My key question for this discussion is simple,” says Terry. “Is there a ‘spirit’ among humans that informs the reality, morality, and values of both theists and atheists?”
The 2-hour discussions are held virtually via Zoom and are led and hosted by Center for Spiritual Wisdom. Participants are asked to consume the following selection of materials prior to the discussion on October 13 (approximately 50 minutes in total):
- Article: Setting the Table for A Little About A Lot (10 mins) – Frames the central question for our discussion.
- Article: 10 facts about atheists (5 mins) – Provides some basic facts and superficial analysis of Pew Research on atheism in the US and abroad.
- Article: Atheists and believers both have moral compasses, but with key differences (10 mins) – Reports on a study that found some interesting contrasts between theists and atheists with regard to morality and group cohesion.
- Article: Is Human Morality a Product of Evolution? (20 mins) – On the evolution of morality. Revelations from research suggest that humans are unique in behaving in cooperative, inclusive ways.
- Article: Labels Divide, Values Conquer (2 mins) – Labels divide. Values unite.
There is no fee for this event. However, donations to Center for Spiritual Wisdom, a non-profit 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt organization, will be gratefully accepted. A suggested donation of $5 or more per discussion will help us continue to offer this and similar events.
Registrations will be received on a first-come, first-served basis and you can choose to make a donation via Eventbrite. After registration, participants will receive a discussion guide that focuses on key themes, and a dedicated link to join the online discussion.
A Little About A Lot is held the 2nd Thursday of each month. So mark your calendars and look to register in Eventbrite! Stay tuned for other discussions planned for A Little About A Lot, including The Four Stages of Spiritual Development, our November topic.
graphic based on original image by Pixabay