On Thursday, February 15, 2024 at 7:00 PM Eastern, Center for Spiritual Wisdom will host its monthly discussion series called A Little About A Lot. The series engages the community in discussions around topics of social, religious, and spiritual interest using short formats like podcasts, web posts, short books, and videos curated from around the digital world. The February installment is entitled Two States, One God: Finding Hope for Israel and Palestine. We will convene on Zoom from 7:00 to 9:00 PM.
The Israeli-Palestinian conflict has persistently eluded peaceful resolution since the founding of the state of Israel in 1947. The horrific events perpetrated by Hamas on Oct 7, 2023 and the asymmetrical retaliation by Israel have wrought unprecedented horror and despair to the region. The images and news from the region simultaneously catalyze both fervent calls for real and lasting rapprochement, as well as swift and decisive justice for the perpetrators. In this roiling dichotomy we aim to explore pathways to the spirit of reconciliation and justice.
For this session we are honored to welcome Dr. Howard Rock, historian and president of the Brevard Jewish Community in Brevard, NC (see his brief bio below).
Please consume these materials prior to the discussion on February 15, 2024.
- Genocide or Not, Israel Has Lost the Moral Ground-Opinion piece from The Hill on Jan 11, 2024, by AVRAHAM SHAMA, a writer and university professor and administrator (retired). He fought in the Six-Day War. – 5 mins
- Israeli-Palestinian conflict: A chronology – Extracted from a Washington Post article first published on October 9, 2023. – 15 mins
- You Were Invited to the Banquet – eight days removed from Oct 7, a sermon by the Rev Sari Ateek, a Palestinian Christian, born and raised in Israel/Palestine, the son of an Episcopal Priest, and currently the Rector at St. John’s Episcopal Church in Chevy Chase, MD. – 17 mins
- Ezra Klein Podcast – A Different Path Israel Could Have Taken — and Maybe Still Can – Klein sits down with Nimrod Novik, a fellow at the Israel Policy Forum and a member of the executive committee of Commanders for Israel’s Security that reported a way forward for a 2-state system. – 59 mins
- OPTIONAL READING – 1920 – 1948-The Stage is Set – NY TImes Article from February 1, 2024, capturing a discussion moderated by Emily Bazelon, a NY Times Magazine staff writer. – 35 mins
Dr. Howard Rock received his BA from Brandeis University and his MA and PhD from New York University. He was a professor of history at Florida International University in Miami for over 35 years where he taught early American history as well as courses in modern Jewish history. He wrote or edited six books. His most recent book is entitled Haven of Liberty: New York Jews in the New World, 1654 – 1865. This book, along with its two companion books in a trilogy covering the entire history of Jews in New York, was designated the Jewish Book of the Year by the Jewish Book Council in 2011. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio and has been married for 49 years to his wife Ellen. They have two sons and a grandson. He enjoys tennis, hiking, and reading, not in that order.
A Little About A Lot engages the community in discussions around topics of social, religious, and spiritual interest using short formats like podcasts, web posts, short books, and videos curated from around the digital world.
There is no fee to participate in this two hour discussion. However, donations to Center for Spiritual Wisdom will be gratefully accepted. A suggested donation of $8 or more per discussion will help us continue to offer this and similar events.